Referrals to Hospital
We use two methods of referral to hospital:
- Choose and Book - electronic.
- Standard - by post.
In both cases you usually have a choice of which hospital you would like to attend. Make sure you tell your doctor.
We started using E-Referrals in February 2006 and now use it whenever possible - the majority of referrals are made this way. It depends on the hospital department having joined the service and on their having appointments available on the website:
- You choose the hospital you would like to go to.
- We search for the most suitable appointment for you over the internet
- We book the appointment for you over the internet.
- The referral letter is sent later, electronically.
- If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do so by calling our secretaries.
- If you have problems you can call us; we can monitor the progress of your referral.
These are used when hospital departments are not on the E-Referral system for situations where there is no choice (eg mental health) and for emergencies and admissions.
- Where a choice exists we offer you a choice.
- Your doctor writes a referral letter to the relevant department.
- The department writes to you with an appointment.
- If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do so by telephone to the number on the appointment letter.
- Please don't call us; we have no information about the progress of your referral.